To promote a strong and sustainable community through advocacy, education, and connection.
Fostering our next-generation leaders,
Supporting continuing education and lifelong career development,
Embracing a more diverse and compassionate business community.
Greater Kirkland Chamber of Commerce 501c6/Kirkland Chamber Foundation 501c3
The Executive Director of the Greater Kirkland Chamber of Commerce plays a critical role in the organization’s success by assisting in the development and implementation of policy with recommending action to the Board of Directors. In particular, the Executive Director is responsible for leading fundraising efforts to ensure the Chamber’s continued operation and growth.
To this end, the Executive Director must be highly skilled in developing and executing effective fundraisers and sponsorship opportunities, as well as communicating effectively with members to identify their needs, ideas, and opportunities for support. The Executive Director must also develop and implement an annual budget and organizational plan that advances the general welfare and prosperity of both Kirkland and the Chamber membership.
To be successful in this role, the Executive Director must possess strong organizational skills, creativity, and an enthusiastic personality. They must also be an excellent communicator, capable of working independently to achieve the Chamber’s fundraising goals and objectives. Overall, the Executive Director plays a vital role in advancing the Chamber’s mission and ensuring its financial sustainability.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Chamber General Management:
- Operate the Chamber in accordance with the Bylaws, existing procedures, Washington state laws, and Federal laws as proper 501c6 and 501c3 organizations.
- Responsible for the employment of all staff personnel, the assignment of their duties, and the supervision of their work, within the framework of the approved budget and terms of employment.
- Conduct regular staff meetings, ensuring all employees are participating.
- Ensure smooth staff communication about all things related to the organization, events, and operations. Utilize tools to help streamline communications processes.
- Devise and implement a strategic plan and annual program of work to advance the Chamber’s mission.
- Work with staff to create event goals and dates, membership targets, an overall communications and advertising calendar, and an annual budget.
- Utilize bylaws, precedence, and evaluations as planning and implementation tools.
- Ensure that the Chamber policies, as established by the Board, are properly kept up to date and implemented.
- Formulate the annual budget, along with the bookkeeper, staff, and Board Treasurer. Set realistic goals with growth in mind.
- Work with CPA and bookkeeper to ensure timely preparation of the tax return.
- Work with staff and committee chairs to ensure all committee meetings are scheduled, reminders are sent, agendas are complete, and necessary materials are sent to members in a timely manner.
Development and Funding:
- Seek out new and grow existing opportunities for sponsorships and partnerships.
- Find and apply for grants as a source of funding.
- Meet with current and new sponsors in a timely manner to ensure renewal/new funding is during their appropriate budget cycle.
- Build and maintain strong relationships and communications with the Board of Directors.
- Provide necessary leadership to garner full engagement of board members.
- Work with the Board President to plan and organize board meetings, as well as coordinate plans and agendas for these meetings.
- Ensure timely selection of new board members and officers.
- Track board terms for each board member.
- Work with the Board President to ensure all board members are following through on their commitments.
- Oversee VP of Sales & Marketing on the development and retention of current and future membership prospects.
- Keep consistent, strong lines of communication open between all parties, with a special emphasis on member input and feedback, congenial and timely visitor interactions, and community and tourism-related groups and individuals.
- Facilitate, oversee, and implement annual membership campaigns, member visits, and new member welcomes as necessary.
- Work effectively with memberships and the businesses that they represent throughout the Greater Kirkland area.
- Analyze and interpret the needs of members and recommend revisions to increase membership value, engagement, and financial support.
- The Executive Director will present event opportunities to the Board of Directors and will oversee the VP of Sales & Marketing in all event preparation, utilizing both staff and volunteers to carry out event objectives.
- Work to garner community support as well as sponsorship for events as needed.
- Ensure that each new and existing event has a budget and receives approval from the Board of Directors.
- Work with staff to ensure events follow budgetary guidelines to meet the goals of each event.
- Seek out sponsorships for events, ensuring each event has enough funding to be financially viable.
- As much as possible, attend meetings of groups of organizations that share common priorities including, but not limited to:
- City of Kirkland council meetings
- City of Kirkland planning commission
- King County Council meetings
- Meetings with neighboring Chambers of Commerce
- Other businesses and organizations that impact the Greater Kirkland Chamber of Commerce
- The Executive Director must stay informed on local, state, and federal issues and actions by agencies that may affect the membership or community.
- The Executive Director is responsible for making recommendations to the Public Policy Committee and/or Board of Directors on possible action on these issues.
- Advocacy shall be the centerpiece of the Executive Director role, creating a business-friendly climate through which all businesses can thrive and strive toward
- The Executive Director is also responsible for maintaining a strong partnership with neighboring Chambers through the East King Chambers Coalition. The Executive Director must maintain representation in this coalition, recruit and maintain delegates, and ensure perfect attendance from at least one delegate per each meeting of the coalition. The Executive Director should prioritize these meetings on their calendar and attempt to attend every meeting possible.
- Must be responsive to member requests for advocacy action.
- Write letters or make public comments on issues affecting members of the business community, as approved by the public policy committee and/or board.
- The Executive Director is responsible for the reputation of the Chamber of Commerce and must hold staff accountable for conduct reflecting back on the organization.
- The Executive Director is the primary contact for the media. All media relations materials must be approved by the Executive Director before distribution.
- Maintain the necessary legal requirements of the Kirkland Chamber Foundation.
- Ensure that the financial contributions are protected and kept within each 501c6 and 501c3 as required by law.
- Administrative fees and other legally allowed crossovers must be double-checked to ensure proper maintenance of charitable funds to preserve tax-exempt status for both organizations.
- All charitable and educational programming shall be conducted under the umbrella of the foundation.
- Ensure a strong digital presence, utilizing the website, email marketing, and social media for the visibility of the Chamber and the membership. Oversee staff producing these materials to ensure that they are consistent with organizational brand and messaging.
- Work with the VP of Sales & Marketing to update marketing plans to incorporate new strategies.
- Stay up to date on new marketing trends and channels. Add in channels to help stay relevant in the community where feasible and appropriate.
- Ensure proper maintenance of social media channels and email marketing tools.
Reports to: Board of Directors
Supervises: All staff, contractors, interns, and volunteers
The salary range for the Kirkland Chamber of Commerce Executive Director position is $95,000 – $110,000 per year, commensurate with experience and qualifications.
- Potential for annual bonuses based on performance
- Medical Insurance Stipend
- Retirement (with match)
- Cell Phone Stipend
- Professional Development (WACE, WCCE memberships)
- Mileage Reimbursement
- Paid Time Off
Required and Preferred Experience & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business administration, non-profit management, marketing or a related field preferred. Substantial relevant experience may be considered in lieu of the preferred education.
- Minimum 5 years experience in a senior management role. Management in the non-profit sector and/or Chambers of Commerce is highly preferred.
- Fundraising experience including sponsorship development and grant writing required.
- Demonstrated experience working with Boards of Directors, committees, municipalities, and the public preferred
- Broad business skills including strategy implementation, financial planning/projections, and operational including knowledge of and ability to use standard office software such as Microsoft Office and QuickBooks
- Strong oral and written communication and people skills
- Detail-oriented, comfortable with varied organizational processes
- Independent, self-sufficient, and strong work ethic
- Relationship builder with strong persuasion skills
- Management skills
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills
- Knowledgeable of local community issues and or ability to quickly integrate into the community
The Greater Kirkland Chamber of Commerce and Kirkland Chamber Foundation are committed to equal employment opportunity and do not discriminate in any employment decision on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability, veteran status, or any other protected status. We are dedicated to ensuring that our workplace is free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply for this position and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.